Development Services Manager
Durham City-County Planning Department
Durham, NC United States
The City-County Planning Department helps plan and direct Durham’s vision for growth that supports a high quality of life, a robust economy and a sustainable, inclusive, equitable and accessible Durham for generations to come. We work collaboratively with other agencies and the community in a fast-paced, innovative environment looking for solutions to today’s land-use and community planning challenges. If you’re talented, creative and focused on customer service, join our team!
This position is within Durham's Development Services Center, which is a collaboration between the Planning, Inspections, and Public Works Departments serving as a one-stop-shop for Durham City and County development services. The selected candidate will supervise a team of engineering staff within the Planning Department tasked with customer service, intake of applications, and minor engineering reviews. These particular reviews consist of minor work within the right-of-way and environmental permits, such as floodplain development.
Responsible for supervising workflow and assignments; training and coaching staff; performing quality control on work; ensuring that legal and statutory requirements are met; assisting with developing agency policies, procedures and priorities; serving as a technical resource to staff; serving as a liaison and/or department representative to elected officials and/or the public; and performing special projects as assigned.
- Manages assigned planning and/or engineering function(s); supervises staff, including assigning, and evaluating work, and conducting training; assists with developing policies and procedures; oversees programs, projects, processes, and operations; plans and implements process and technology improvements; performs quality control duties; convenes and conducts meetings; and ensures compliance with applicable regulations, policies, standards, and procedures.
- Coordinates with other various departments associated with the Development Review Process, and coordinate with Planning Department management team on developing plans, and policies in an effort to direct Durham’s vision for equitable, inclusive, and high quality growth.
- Collaborates with upper management, elected officials, citizens, other City departments, and/or external agencies; attends meetings, forums, and hearings; serves as a technical resource and liaison; responds to project-specific, escalated, and/or other inquiries; represents the department; and plans and supervises public engagement and outreach events.
- Assists with preparing budgets; monitors expenses and revenues; reviews and analyzes financial and related data; and prepare labor and material estimates.
- Coordinates the preparation of and/or prepares, reviews, maintains, and/or approves reports, plans, policy proposals, graphs, maps, diagrams, presentations, contracts, surveys, and other documents; supervises the maintenance of records, websites, calendars, and databases; researches, analyzes and reviews data; and reviews work and the work of others for accuracy and completeness.
- Supervise a team of engineering staff tasked with customer service, right-of-way permitting, and floodplain development permits.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- Master’s degree in planning, engineering, construction management or in a directly related field or equivalent.
- Three years of professional planning, civil engineering, or development experience.
- Two years of supervisory experience.
Additional Preferred Skills
- AICP (American Institute of Certified Planners).
- North Carolina Certified Floodplain Management Accreditation.
- North Carolina Professional Engineer License or equivalent.
Position Closes August 2, 2021