Planner II - Plans Review
City of Statesville
Statesville, NC United States
PLANNER II - PLANS REVIEW
Starting Salary: $45,780.80
Closing Date: October 9, 2021
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs difficult professional work pertaining to planning studies and design; carries responsibility for implementation/enforcement of land use policies; serves as administrative liaison to the Technical Review Committee, does related work as required.
Work is performed under regular supervision.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assists in the administration of Unified Development Code, subdivision regulations and other development regulations and policies including policy recommendations and interpretations;
- Reviews preliminary and final platting requirements and presents assessments to the Assistant Director;
- Conveys objectives and requirements of the department to the private sector;
- Chairs and coordinates activities of the Technical Review Committee; including file and records maintenance;
- Conduct and complete site plan reviews and make recommendations to Technical Review Committee and Assistant Director;
- Investigates complaints for project compliance;
- Implements, coordinates and reviews the application of land regulatory ordinances and policies;
- Regularly schedules site visits to assure project conformity with code requirements;
- Serves as primary backup for Planner I/Zoning Officer;
- Other related work as required.
JOB RELATED PHYSICAL ACTIVITY REQUIREMENTS: This position involves sedentary work requiring the employee to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and less force frequently to move objects. Physical activity related to this position may include climbing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing and repetitive motions. Sufficient visual acuity is required to visually analyze data and figures; do extensive reading and use a computer terminal; do accounting and transcription; and use measurement devices. An employee in this position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Thorough knowledge of modern planning and development principles and of the social and economic implications of planning; thorough knowledge of modern land use, zoning, populations and sub-dividing concepts; ability to prepare comprehensive plans and studies; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, fellow employees, developers and the general public; ability to communicate ideas effectively both orally and in writing.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in geography, planning or related field and considerable experience in municipal planning; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Possession of a valid N.C. driver’s license.
This position is “exempt” and is not eligible for overtime pay.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER