Lancaster, South Carolina County Government
Lancaster, SC United States
JOB TITLE: PLANNER
GENERAL STATEMENT OF JOB:
Performs intermediate skilled technical work providing professional planning services, gathering and analyzing zoning design data, ensuring compliance with County ordinances and plans, maintaining records and files, preparing reports, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the general direction of the Planning Director.
The ideal candidate will have outstanding customer service skills, as well as the ability to convey code information to a wide range of customers through written and verbal means. Following a good code of ethics is essential. They will have the ability and knowledge to make sound judgment calls, while working efficiently and with a results-oriented focus.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Reviews plans and applications to confirm compliance with adopted county plans and ordinances (UDO, Lancaster County Comprehensive Plan, various small area plans, etc.)
- Provides zoning and development assistance to developers, design professionals, business operators, property owners, and the general public.
- Assist Senior Planners in upcoming rewrite of the County’s Unified Development Ordinance and development of a new Comprehensive Plan.
- Conducts minor subdivision plat reviews for commercial and residential development.
- Prepares and presents planning reports to Planning Commission and County Council.
- Provides administrative and technical assistance to Senior Planners and Planning Director.
- Receives, reviews, prepares and processes various records and reports to include rezoning applications, variance applications, plats, subdivision plans, real property inquiries, sketches, maps, etc.
- Interacts and communicates with a variety of groups and individuals to include co-workers, immediate supervisor, other departmental personnel and supervisory staff, neighborhood groups, property owners, realtors, developers, public officials, attorneys, surveyors, etc.
- Attends Council and Commission Meetings; makes various presentations to Councils, Commissions, Boards, neighborhood groups, and civic groups.
- Oversees the work of consultants and interns and conducts field evaluations and assessments.
- Comfortable with use of computers and software programs for various technical planning projects and studies, such as Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Pro, and various web based applications.
- Performs updates to geographic data by using ArcGIS. Evaluates current geospatial technologies and develops web-based, interactive mapping solutions.
- Possess the ability to review plans and apply provisions of the ordinances and codes to determine compliance with such regulations and to apply regulations to field conditions, create graphic designs, development strategies (ability to render site plans via sketches and/or computer graphics highly desirable).
- Must also have the ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously, work independently or in a team environment as needed, and attend to details while keeping big-picture goals in mind.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Requires a Bachelor's Degree in City/Regional Planning, Urban Design, or a related field. Requires one year in professional planning and urban design experience, preferably in a local government setting. The equivalent combination of education and related work experience (including internships) may be considered.
Master's degree in planning or closely related field. Public speaking experience. Previous experience in public planning, ArcGIS and/or code compliance.
Applications accepted at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lancastersc