Assistant Town Planner
Town of Maggie Valley
Maggie Valley, NC United States
The Town of Maggie Valley is seeking a self-motivated, technology savvy individual with strong interpersonal skills to join our team. This position will provide technical assistance and customer service to the general public, property owners, builders, real estate agents, and developers who inquire about UDO and code provisions. The individual will perform processing and initial review for zoning, subdivision, and floodplain permits. This newly created entry level planning position is a great opportunity for a recent graduate or aspiring planner to learn and grow.
Maggie Valley is the fastest growing municipality in Haywood County, North Carolina. We are in a unique geographic location in proximity to Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Lake Junaluska, and thirty-five miles to downtown Asheville. Maggie Valley’s Soco Road business district is a quintessential representation of small resort town charm with dozens of locally owned tourist shops and restaurants. The Town shares in a rich tradition of yearly festivals, beautiful scenery, and mountain views that surround you for miles. We are a four-season sportsman’s paradise with opportunities to ski, fish, hike, golf, and sightsee Rocky Mountain Elk, all without leaving town limits!
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Responds to inquiries regarding planning policies, development regulations, and permitting processes
• Maintains excellent public relations through direct customer service
• Ability to build and maintain professional relationships through excellent spoken and written communication
• Receives and processes planning permit applications
• Drafts reports and documents used in current and long-range planning
• Performs routine planning functions including research and analysis
• Completes other special projects and related duties as assigned
• Highly detail-oriented and organized with ability to work independently
• Demonstrated ability to think critically and multi-task
• Understanding of planning principles and practice, including knowledge of North Carolina land development regulations
• Demonstrated methods and techniques of technical research, report preparation, and presentation
Requires a degree in urban/regional planning, geography, GIS, landscape architecture, or a closely related field
• Walking, standing, stooping, bending, lifting, and carrying
• Visual acuity, reading comprehension, hearing, and clear articulation
• Work includes public contact
• Hours are Mon - Fri 8 AM – 5 PM and occasional night meetings
• Valid Driver’s License required
Salary Information: Full salary range is $34,057 - $51,086
Starting salary for this position will be commensurate with the candidate’s background, experience, skills, and education.
To Apply: If interested, submit by email a cover letter, resume, and two references (email & phone number) to Shayne Wheeler, Human Resources Director at email@example.com
While the position will remain open until we find the right teammate, interested candidates should apply by close of business July 1, 2022 to be considered for first review. Interviews are expected to begin mid-July.