Regional or Senior Planner
Catawba Regional Council of Governments
Rock Hill, SC United States
Position Opening: Regional Planner or Senior Regional Planner
Catawba Regional Council of Governments (COG) is seeking an experienced planner looking for an opportunity to take their career to the next level. We are looking for a professional planner with experience working with municipal, county, and state governments or in the private sector serving these jurisdictions who can leverage their technical, writing, analytical, and presentation skills to help improve the communities that make up the Catawba region. If this opportunity interests you, then our agency may be your next work home.
As Regional Planner or Senior Regional Planner, you will have the opportunity to take the lead on planning projects that positively impact the economic, physical, and social well-being of the region. The candidate must demonstrate experience and proficiency in developing and executing planning products such as small area plans, transportation, and land use analysis, comprehensive plans, policy recommendations, and federal and state grant-funded projects that garner broad stakeholder and public support. Strong GIS, data analysis, statistical and forecast analytics, communication, social media tools/use, and presentation skills are crucial for success in this role. You must be able to provide professional and timely feedback to various audiences.
The ideal candidate will also have experience developing scopes of work, contracting processes, project management, public engagement, management of consultant teams, review of invoices and reports, in the implementation of planning studies consistent with federal, state, and local requirements.
Minimum qualifications of the successful candidate:
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Regional Planning, Geographic Information Systems, or closely related field.
- Five (5) years of experience in urban or regional planning, monitoring, and reporting at the local or state level of government.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Conducts research, prepares and presents reports that communicate technical analyses, and makes a case for policy and other recommendations, as appropriate.
- Utilizes geographic information systems (GIS), computer modeling, and other technical tools and works as part of the GIS team.
- Knowledge of land use and transportation planning, policies, regulations, and best management practices.
- Plans, develops and executes work programs for projects with a high impact level.
- Works constructively in teams.
- Ability to effectively use ArcGIS, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook), and various social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Willingness/ability to attend evening and before or after-hours meetings of planning commissions, city and county councils, and other public groups.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Master’s degree in Urban Planning, Regional Planning, Geographic Information Systems, Business/Information Systems, or closely related field.
- Experience in analytics, forecasting, population, and employment projection development.
- Eight (8) years of experience in urban and regional planning, monitoring, and reporting at the local or state level of government.
- Experience serving as a project manager for various work products, including small area plans and comprehensive plans, emphasizing GIS, effective public engagement, and using social media.
- Ability to effectively use Sketch-Up, Adobe Creative Suite, or other graphics-based programs.
Compensation and benefits:
Compensation is competitive in the region. The starting salary range is $68,000-$80,000, depending upon qualifications and experience. Catawba Regional COG offers an excellent work environment and competitive employee benefits package that includes participation in the South Carolina retirement and health benefits system, a matching 401(K) program, and a flexible work schedule.
About the employer:
Catawba Regional Council of Governments was formed in 1971 to foster regional collaboration and cooperation and provide planning, grant writing and administration, transportation, and community and economic development assistance to 26 local governments in upper South Carolina. The organization is mission-driven, balancing high community impacts with fiscal responsibility with a historic return on member-government investment totaling $50:$1. The Community Economic Development team currently manages ~$25 million in direct project grant funding. The Council’s offices are located in downtown Rock Hill, SC, a 2019 All-America City with direct access to I-77 and the rest of the greater Charlotte bi-state area. Candidates may learn more at www.catawbacog.org.
The position is open until filled. Please submit resumes with a cover letter. Candidate materials may be submitted online (PDF only) to AChitwood@catawbacog.org or via U.S. mail to:
Catawba Regional Council of Governments
P.O. Box 450
Rock Hill, SC 29731
Attn: Amy Chitwood
Catawba Regional Council of Governments is an Equal Opportunity Employer.