Chief Executive Officer
Raleigh Housing Authority
Raleigh, NC United States
While RHA has achieved much success since 1938, RHA recently established a new Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”) position to guide its strategic growth in response to the City’s affordable housing challenges driven by the area’s tremendous economic success. As part of a deliberate assessment of RHA’s organizational capacity, the City’s evolving affordable housing needs and to ensure equitable housing opportunities, the Board of Commissioners created the CEO position to lead RHA into the future as a best-in-class community partner.
Reporting to the Board of Commissioners, the CEO is responsible for leading, managing, and growing RHA by serving as a visionary leader who inspires excellence and manages performance and strategic change within the organization. A critical responsibility of the CEO is working with the Board of Commissioners to build a substantial affordable housing real estate development capacity while continuing to assure RHA’s high-performer status with HUD and other oversight agencies. The CEO advises the Board on the agency’s mission, vision, community partnerships, housing development, resident programs, as well as diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts.
- Plan, organize and direct strategic and tactical management, administration, and supervision of all aspects of the RHA’s business and affairs.
- Provide reports and recommendations to the Board of Commissioners about program opportunities for growth, program management, fiscal stability, asset management, and personnel requirements. Prepare standard operational resolutions for the review and approval of the Board of Commissioners.
- Represent RHA with the cities of the RHA’s service area, and county, state, and federal governments. Maintain close working relationship with the political and business leaders of these constituencies, as well as other area affordable housing organizations.
- Guide the development of RHA’s new strategic plan in consultation with community stakeholders, then translate the plan’s vision and goals into accomplishable actions within RHA while building support for it in the broader community.
- Build out and lead a substantial affordable housing development capacity within the agency so that RHA can assume greater responsibility in meeting Raleigh’s escalating affordable housing needs.
- Oversee the implementation of current and new goals, objectives, policies, procedures, performance objectives, standards, and reporting systems.
- Lead, guide, direct and evaluate the work of the executive team to ensure RHA's strategic direction filters down through the organization and is achieved.
- Establish policy-appropriate service and staffing with comprehensive minimum standards in support of RHA goals and objectives; monitor and evaluate efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; and allocate resources accordingly.
- Create formal internal communication systems and methods to develop effective and timely interchange of ideas, information, suggestions, and recommendations.
- Direct the development of RHA policies and procedures implementing federal, state, and local statutes.
- Develop comprehensive strategic recruitment, retention and rewards plans to meet the human capital needs while driving a positive workplace environment and culture. Oversee and participate in the development and administration of the RHA budget; approve the forecast of funds needed for facilities, staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies to fulfill the mission of the RHA.
- Serve as RHA’s primary liaison, delegated representative, as needed ex-officio member and staff support to RHA’s affiliates. Responsible for managing and administering property management agreements with independent affordable housing owners. Assist the Board of Commissioners in exercising its oversight responsibilities for affiliates, including periodically negotiating management contracts with affiliates for RHA employees engaged in carrying out staffing functions for the affiliates.
- Oversee compliance of agency programs with federal and state guidelines and regulations; directs research and analysis of new federal and state guidelines.
- Provide RHA comments on proposed federal, state, and local regulations and their prospective impact on RHA programs and suggest alternative courses of action when needed.
- Strategically participate on regional-national boards, work groups/task forces and other activities that promote the expansion of affordable housing for the benefit of RHA and Raleigh generally.
- Master’s degree in Public/Business Administration, Social Work, or a related field required, but equivalent professional experience may be considered.
- Seven plus years of senior level management experience at a PHA, affordable housing development organization or equivalent.
- Considerable experience with affordable housing development; substantive real estate development experience preferred over generalized management of a development team.
- Working experience with a wide variety of affordable housing subsidy programs and financing structures, e.g., LIHTC, RAD, Section 18 Demo/Dispo, Choice Neighborhoods and other federal, state, and local resources.
- Substantive knowledge of various real estate ownership structures, including LLC’s, LP’s, affiliates, instrumentalities, and GP’s.
- In-depth knowledge of HUD/PHA rules, regulations, policies, operations, and funding opportunities.
- Proven leadership skills in building a high performance, mission-driven, resident-centered culture.
- Strong strategic planning, financial management, and human resource experience.
- Excellent financial capabilities, both in terms of real estate development and standard PHA/HUD operations.
- Working familiarity with all aspects of property and asset management.