Assistant Planning Director
City of Raleigh
Raleigh, NC United States
The City of Raleigh is seeking an Assistant Department Director in the Planning and Development Department. This class is the second level in a six-level Executive Series devoted to providing strategic direction and management oversight to the Planning and Development Department. Incumbents will oversee the Current Planning and Zoning Administration programs with key focus areas of current planning, zoning administration & inspections as well as Zoning review.
The Assistant Department Director will oversee and conduct all aspects of personnel management including, but not limited to; performance evaluations, training, and hiring, discipline and termination procedures as well as directly supervise management, professional, paraprofessional and support staff. Candidates for this position should possess excellent verbal and written skills as well as exceptional customer service skills and a general understanding of Planning and Development practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, manages, and administers the operations of assigned division coordinates and provides oversight to the implementation of division programs and activities; participates in policy development; strives to align division operations with the overall strategic plan, mission and vision
- Guides, reviews, and approves work process changes; monitors service quality and compliance with internal and external regulations, standards, codes, policies and/or business requirements; identifies and implements process improvement for the optimization of resources and effective delivery of high-quality customer service
- Provides technical guidance; monitors and evaluates projects and processes; performs research of specialized and technical information; analyzes and resolves complex and sensitive issues; handles escalated customer concerns; and creates negotiations and implements initiatives and solutions
- Serves as division representative and advisor to management, City officials, boards, commissions, authorities, outside agencies, the public and/or other organizations regarding assigned area; attends and facilitates meetings
- Receives and facilitates resolution to client concerns by consulting with other City staff, members of the development community and community residents
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Excellent interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, other departments, elected officials and the public
- Highly effective teambuilding and leadership skills including consensus-building to resolve conflicts, negotiate agreements and gain cooperation among diverse interest groups
- Excellent project management skills, including skill in planning, organizing, evaluating, analyzing problems, making decisions, time management and implementation plans
- Problem analysis, adaptability/flexibility, and stress tolerance in a highly visible public environment
- Specific knowledge of the City of Raleigh Unified Development Ordinance creation and administration as well as quasi-judicial oversite and plan review. Strong understanding of policy creation and administration
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's Degree in public administration or field directly related to assignment and eight years of progressively responsible related experience that includes significant management and supervisory experience
An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above, unless otherwise subject to any other requirements set forth in law or regulation
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of the Microsoft suite of products. Prefer the candidate also possess knowledge of Peoplesoft, HCM and EnerGov.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Supervising and evaluating staff performance
- Training, coaching and overseeing the development of staff
- Providing project/program management, organization and logistics coordination.
- Managing standards and quality assurance
- Reviewing research and implementing industry trends, solutions and best practices
- Managing budgets and allocating resources to achieve strategic objectives
- Exercising political acumen, tact and diplomacy
- Providing exceptional customer service
- Principles and applications of critical thinking and analysis
- Conflict resolution and negotiation strategies
- Principles and practices of strategic planning