Senior Planner - Long-Range Planning
City of High Point
High Point, NC United States
The City of High Point Planning and Development Department seeks to fill a Senior Planner position in the Planning Services Division. This position performs responsible professional and technical work related to long-range, comprehensive planning with an additional focus on demographic analysis. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Planning Administrator.
- Prepares reports involving demographic data, such as population estimates and projections;
- Coordinates duties related to U.S. Census Bureau activities, including decennial censuses;
- Gathers, compiles, selects and analyzes data pertaining to the physical, social and economic characteristics of the City’s planning area;
- Conducts research and manages projects in the comprehensive planning program, including the formation and revision of the comprehensive plan and related plans concerning the growth and development of the city;
- Facilitates groups participating in planning studies, mediates discussion, and seeks consensus solutions;
- Manages and completes a variety of planning-related studies and projects;
- Receives, processes and evaluates plan amendment applications and creates written reports to the Planning & Zoning Commission and City Council;
- Assists with amendments to the Development Ordinance;
- Conducts field surveys, collects data and information, analyzes and summarizes existing conditions, derives conclusions, makes recommendations, and prepares written technical reports;
- Provides information to the public regarding City policies and activities, often through the department webpage, and explains the comprehensive planning process;
- Attends meetings and makes oral presentations;
- Maintains records and data related to permitting and land development;
- Provides information and guidance to City and department personnel; and
- Assists division head and City staff as needed;
- May be required to drive to various locations to accomplish assignments;
- Ensures that all work is performed in accordance with OSHA and City Safety Standards and Policies.
- Well-developed knowledge of urban planning principles, practices and techniques;
- In-depth knowledge of comprehensive planning practices and methods;
- Knowledge of state and local laws and regulations applicable to work responsibilities;
- In-depth knowledge of principles, methodology and practices of research, data collection and analysis; and
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software applications applicable to work responsibilities, including the use of geographic information applications in planning.
- Proficient computer skills to use software applications to process board submissions and reviews, prepare reports, and perform essential tasks;
- Excellent communication skills to communicate in various forms and convey complex information clearly and effectively to different audiences;
- Creative problem-solving skills to gather relevant information in the development of effective policy;
- Effective facilitation skills to lead productive group discussions;
- Excellent interpersonal skills to create and maintain productive working relationships with associates, city officials, consultants, contractors, customers and the public;
- Ability to provide technical assistance regarding land use applications, and ability to read construction drawings and details.
- Ability to read and comprehend scientific and technical journals, reports, ordinances, laws, policies, maps, plans and other documents relating to essential tasks;
- Ability to prepare and present technical reports in oral and written form; and
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and manage them effectively to meet established deadlines.
- Master’s degree in planning, geography, public administration or closely related field with two (2) years of relevant planning experience; OR
- Bachelor’s degree in planning, geography, public administration or closely related field with four (4) years of relevant planning experience.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification
Interested applicants must apply through NEOGOV, the City of High Point’s job application system. Please submit a cover letter and resume with your application. To apply, please type the following link into your web browser: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/highpointnc/jobs/4133506/senior-planner.
This job will remain open until filled. The City of High Point is an Equal Opportunity Employer.