Regional Planner I or II
Centralina Regional Council
Charlotte, NC United States
Be part of a creative team in a dynamic & diverse region!
Who We Seek:
Centralina Regional Council seeks an energetic, self-directed individual for the position of REGIONAL PLANNER I or REGIONAL PLANNER II to assist in the coordination of land use, transportation, environmental, healthy community and public engagement projects. Projects will primarily focus on transportation choice, developing strong downtowns, building healthy, lifelong communities, assisting local governments in meeting local goals, clean fuels and advanced transportation technologies, as well as planning, and providing support for, public engagement activities. In years one and two, this position will support work that will lead to the creation of the region’s first climate action plan.
The successful applicant will understand the importance of positive relationships with local communities and agencies in the region and exhibit strong customer service and problem-solving skills. Position requires project management skills and internal drive.
Centralina Regional Council is an innovative regional planning agency located in Charlotte, NC with a membership that includes 60+ local governments throughout the Greater Charlotte Region. Centralina works with individual communities and leads major projects that transcend local and regional boundaries. Our mission is to lead regional collaboration and spark local action to expand opportunity and improve quality of life. Learn more about our work at www.centralina.org.
The Centralina Team:
Centralina strives to provide an inclusive, creative and supportive work environment for its employees. Centralina’s staff of nearly 50 individuals serve as subject-matter experts to ensure our organization is able to meet critical business needs and is responsive to the needs of those that need our help the most. Centralina’s staff of friendly, talented and professional individuals helps ensure Centralina remains a trusted source of data and analysis that informs decision makers and calls attention to important trends. Centralina is a great place to work, learn and grow in your career.
Centralina offers its employees an excellent benefits package including membership in the NC Local Government Retirement System, 401k, medical, dental, vision and flexible benefits programs.
Description of the work:
Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Performing intermediate professional planning, research, analytical and technical duties in the Centralina Regional Councils’ Planning Department.
- Managing and working within teams on a variety of planning initiatives.
- Planning and coordinating meetings, workshops and other events.
- Researching trends and emerging issues on program activities and preparing and presenting reports and program recommendations.
- Clearly communicating internally and externally on program areas.
- Providing technical assistance in a variety of planning areas.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Include but are not limited to:
- Knowledge of principles and practices in planning as applied to transportation and land use planning systems and processes as well as general planning principles.
- Knowledge of government, laws and services pertinent to planning processes.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff at the federal, state, regional, local levels and with elected officials.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing and lead various meetings and events, make presentations and answer questions at public or project meetings.
- Ability to coordinate the preparation of or prepare presentations, charts, maps (GIS), graphs and other illustrative materials for presentations to elected officials, public and other stakeholders.
- Ability to perform a variety of duties including research, drafting plans and reports, grant development and administration, budget development and administration, etc.
- Demonstration of project management skills desired.
Minimum Experience at a Glance:
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a field of study in planning, public policy, urban design, public administration, geography or related field and one to three years of experience (for Regional Planner I) or three to five years of experience (Regional Planner II) or an equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Local government planning department experience is desired. Hiring salary dependent on position hired for and ranges from a minimum of $47,500 – $52,500.
Applicant must possess a valid driver’s license and have the ability to physically perform the basic life operation functions of standing, walking, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions, the ability to lift 20 pounds of force occasionally and possess the visual acuity to prepare data, proof work, and do extensive reading.
How to Apply:
Interested individuals are encouraged to send résumés and a cover letter to: email@example.com with the subject line “Regional Planner I / II.” Deadline: Open until filled with rolling interviews. Interested applicants encouraged to apply early. EOE.dd