Assistant Planning Director
Town of Garner
27529, NC United States
Apply by December 3, 2023!
The Town of Garner is seeking an experienced Assistant Planning Director to develop, coordinate, and conduct the Town’scomprehensive planning (“Garner Forward”) and master plan review programs focused on implementing the Town’s overallvision as represented by the Town of Garner Strategic Plan.
The Assistant Planning Director will perform work that involves direct supervision of planning staff; advising the TownCouncil and Planning Commission in a leading role; providing high-level urban design direction to staff and developers asinformed by the adopted comprehensive plan; and filling in for the Planning Director in their absence. The position requiresconsiderable public contact, often in sensitive or emotional issues requiring sound judgement, firmness, and tact. Work isperformed under the general supervision of the Planning Director.
Examples of Duties
- Advises the Planning Director, Town Managers, Town Council, Planning Commission and others on comprehensiveplanning, master planned rezoning, demographic analysis, land use and transportation matters.
- Assumes responsibilities of Planning Director in their absence, including the signing of final plats certifyingcompliance with Unified Development Ordinance regulations.
- Manages all long-range plans and related activities under the umbrella of “Garner Forward” and ensures coordinationwith regional partners and neighboring local jurisdictions.
- Supervises subordinate staff - including the completion of staff performance reviews; delegating work; mentoring andencouraging professional growth and development.
- Sets the bar for subordinate staff in regard to teamwork by filling in as needed during periods of employee leave andposition vacancies.
- Represents the Town as the voting member of both the Technical Coordinating Committee and the Transit PlanningAdvisory Committee of the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (CAMPO), and directs participation ofsubordinate staff in CAMPO subcommittees and special studies as needed.
- Coordinates with the Town Clerk to manage the Town’s annexation petition process.
- Maintains a close working relationship with the Garner Town Engineer and Assistant Town Engineer (EngineeringDepartment Director and Assistant Director).
- Leads and/or delegates review of conditional master planned and other rezoning requests.
- Presents rezoning cases and/or provides support to presenting staff at Planning Commission and Town Councilmeetings and hearings.
- Ensures coordination with partner agencies including, but not limited to, the US Census Bureau, NC Secretary ofState, NC Department of Transportation, State Demographer’s Office, Wake County Housing and Community Revitalization Division, Wake County Planning, GoRaleigh, GoTriangle, and the Wake County Public School System.
- Prepares job postings, conducts interviews,and completes personnel action forms for new hires as assigned.
- Attends a number of evening meetings.
- Provides high-level direction for the proper maintenance and retention of department data (GIS, digital and physical)managed by subordinate staff.
- Performs related duties as required.
Applicants must have a Bachelor's degree in Geography, Urban Planning, Landscape Architecture or closely related field from accredited college or university and at least six (6) years of progressively responsible professional experience inpublic sector planning or contracted public planning service.
Applicants must have at least two (2) years of supervisory experience.
Applicants must be able to obtain AICP within one (1) year of hire.
Applicants must have a valid driver’s license and good driving history.
Preference will be given to applicants that have a Master’s degree in Urban Planning or closely related field.
Preference will be given to applicants that have a current AICP designation.