AICP Certification Maintenance Information
AICP's Certification Maintenance (CM) program helps planners gain the knowledge the skills they need to remain current in the practice of planning. In addition to CM credits available through the American Planning Association (APA) National Conference and on-demand webinars, the North Carolina Chapter hosts or sponsors local events throughout the year that provide CM credits for planners with AICP designation.
Important Notices for AICP Members!
Consolidating the Two-Year Reporting Periods
Consolidation of reporting periods between January 1, 2019 - December 31, 2020 and January 1, 2020 and December 31, 2021.
Important information to note:
- The 2019-2020 reporting period was extended for a year until 12/31/2021.
- There will be no additional extensions for the 2019-2020 reporting period.
- The 2020-2021 reporting period will also end on 12/31/2021
- The 2020-2021 reporting period will have a 4-month grace time.
- All AICP members will move into the 2022-2023 reporting period on 1/1/2022
New CM Topics
New required topics include: Equity & Sustainability and Resilience
These topics will be required starting 1/1/2022 and will be due at the end of the reporting period on December 31, 2023.
CM-Eligible Events in North Carolina
- APA's National Planning Conference is the best place to fulfill your CM credits each year, if you're lucky enough to be able to attend.
- Start your search for CM events through the APA CM Event Search. Events are usually in-person, though also include webinars and on demand sessions. Includes both free and registration fee-based events.
- APA periodically posts a limited number of free, on-demand CM events online that may be added to you CM log.
- APA recently launched APA Learn as online resource for CM credits through recorded sessions and webinars and interactive courses. Cost $20 per credit hour for APA members.
- The Ohio State Chapter's Planning Webcast Series organizes free, live webcasts from APA chapters and divisions throughout the year.